The first owner of this two-and-a-half-story home with Classical Revival and Victorian influences was John W. Pauly, a cigar manufacturer who also served as a state senator. The home was built in 1901.
Pauly's daughter discovered his original cigar-making equipment in the garage and donated it to the Minnesota Historical Society. She lived in the house her entire life, until she passed away in 2013.
The home's Classical Revival influences are seen in roof modillions, the dentilated wraparound frieze, and the porch. The engaged Doric corner pilasters resemble columns.
The main body of the house features a low-pitched, hipped roof with two gable side dormers and boxed eaves. Note the dentil work at the cornice line of the second story and the full-width porch. The second story features a sun-filled bay window on the south facade.
The house has an asymetrically-placed bay on the second floor and a one-story bay on the north side, as well as a shallow, simulated balcony just above the roof eave. The enclosed porch has double-hung windows between plain-faced square columns. The two-and-a-half-foot walls are clad with siding, as is the rest of the house.
One unusual feature of the house is its brick porch foundation. The rest of the house has a more typical limestone foundation.