Cost estimate on building permit: $5,000
This is the twelfth house Healy built in the district. As explained in the text for 3137 2nd Ave. So., in 1886 the Healy family first lived at 3137 2nd Ave. So. Then, in 1888, they moved across the street to 3138. When that home sold quickly, the Healys rented a house at 3229 2nd Ave. South. until this house, 3131, was completed. Healy also built a barn for 3131; however, the barn has not survived. The Healys lived in this house for two years, and then sold it to Harry C. and Mary R. Haynes. Harry Haynes was the head of the New York Biscuit Company. When that company merged with the National Biscuit Company (Nabisco), Haynes became a Nabisco executive. David E. Rea, Mary Haynes’s brother, lived in the house with the Hayneses and worked for Harry Haynes at Nabisco. The Hayneses lived in the house from 1892 to 1915 whereupon they moved to Buffalo, New York.
The Healy-Haynes house is another of the restorations inspired by designation of the entire block as a historic district – first by the city in 1989, and then via placement on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993. Bob Roscoe/Design for Preservation drew restoration plans for this house in 1993 for the Minneapolis Community Development Agency.
The basic structure of this house is similar to the unrestored house at 3145 2nd Ave. So. Both are cross-gabled with the side gables subordinated to the main ridge. The attic window triptych is unified by the elaborate paneling beneath. The cantilevered attic gable covers a second-floor porch.
The first- and second-story porches are ornamented with fretwork, turned posts, and balustrades. In addition, the first-floor porch has a skirt made of scrolled woodwork, and the double front doors are paneled. The house has polygonal bays on the southwest corner and the south façade. The northwest corner contains the earliest surviving example in the district of a large single-pane parlor window topped with paired, arched Moorish Revival windows; unfortunately, the original stained glass has been removed from the upper windows.